Monday, December 20, 2010

In loving memory......


Through sleepy eyes I wander to the light coming from the kitchen. I creep ever so quietly, carefully navigating the living room. I step lightly on the carpet to keep from being heard. I can hear the muffled sounds of classic country on his old radio. The smell of his morning coffee fills the house. The sun is just starting to peek through the sky, but he has been up for awhile. He gets up early all week for his job, but it doesn't matter he loves the morning time. Today is Sunday and he could easily take his much earned rest but he won't, it's not in his nature. My footsie pajamas scrape on the kitchen tile and give me away. His paper shuffles and he pretends not to have heard. I try to sneak all the way up to him, but I can't control the urge to giggle. He lowers the paper and a big grin appears. He schooches out the chair next to him and pats the chair. I climb up and settle in. He carefully separates the funnies from the paper and hands me "my newspaper". He goes back to reading his sport section. My legs swing back and forth as I laugh at Garfield. I can hear the Judds playing "grandpa tell us about the good ol days" in the background. The noisy kitchen clock ticks loudly and I rub my eyes. My tummy rumbles and in the quiet kitchen, he chuckles. His little man is hungry and he folds his paper up. I watch him get up with greedy eyes. Sunday breakfast is special. The work in the garage starts later and this is our time. He starts the bacon and the sizzling smoky smell makes me hungrier. It seems like an eternity waiting for it to cook. The eggs are next and we like them scrambled. The toast is my job and I almost forgot. The smell of breakfast had me distracted. I got them popped down and am off the get the juice. The jug is a little heavy and it wobbles. I spill some, but he just smiles. He grabs a rag and cleans up after his little man. Breakfast is almost done. The toast is buttered and the plates are set. We set the table for three. My brother is asleep still and we should go wake him. We should, but today we don't. It's my birthday and he wants to enjoy the alone time with his little man. Hot Wheels and G.I. Joe's are on my birthday list, but nothing compares to this. Mornings are our time and nothing beats this moment.

Thirty some odd years later, I am a grown man. Inside, I am still that little boy. It is once again my birthday but dad is no longer here. I wait for our special birthday call. It never comes. Logically, I knew it would never come. That doesn't stop me from waiting and hoping. The little boy inside misses him so much and I hurt. He wasn't just my dad, he was one of my best friends. We talked through life's problems, both his and mine. I feel abandoned. I wasn't ready to let him go. I find myself navigating fatherhood and I wonder if I am making the memories that my boys will cherish. Will they think back thirty years from now and be moved by something as simple as a memory? Have I been the father I should be? He made me feel special and I hope that I have done the same for my boys. Oddly enough, I hope that they someday experience this pain I feel. If they do, I guess I have done my job.
Dad, your birthday is almost here and you would have been 63. You left us way too early. It has been seven years now and I still fight the urge to call you. The call that you were gone still echoes in my head. My heart broke all within a heartbeat. Time was supposed to ease the pain. It didn't. Is it possible to remove the pain and still keep the memories? I am not sure. I doubt it. If that is the case, then I hope it never goes away.

1 comment:

  1. "Papa would you like another cup of coffee?" He had his chair and i remember desi, corrie, trisha, and i fighting to get it first. He wasnt happ6 in Washington everyobe knew that including us girls. He missed the Califronia sunshine. He missed the enviroment, what he missed more what his brothers and sister and his family. I look back and sometimes get angry when we werent there when he passed. Sometimes i feel responsible, we were planning to move away and he wouldnt have any grandchildren, sometimes i feel WE broke his heart. He was my best friend, he just understood me i didnt have to explain. When he got mad at us, that was the worst feeling in the world i absolutely hated disappointing him. If he had just lived longer just a little bit longer may the paib of letting him go wouldnt bwe so bad. Oh who am i kidding, it never would be easy. He is with the angels now, sometimes i sware i can feel him watching me or when im along and remember the smell off coffee at six in the morning. Listening to him tell stories was always the greatest. He is just a great man! The best grandpa there ever was! The last time i actually celebrated my birthday was with him. Its just not the same without him anymore. I remember everytime we would walk up after spending the night we would find him on the porch and we would search high and low for his coffee cup to make sure it was warm or it was full. Thank the lord he quick smoking when he did, although sometimes i think we should have tried to make him quit so much earlier, and again i feel it was our fault. He was something special to everyone. How could a person, a man impact so many lives and god just take him away? maybe god felt grandpa could watch over all of his family from heaven better? Maybe god needed a best friend just like ours. He broke so many hearts when he left. I know i broke his when i dropped out of school, but im making a come back. I will get all my schooling done and have a career and then a family. he was a great man, and i hope he is the first face i see when i cross over.

    ReplyDelete